Sunday, December 23, 2012

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

"If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough." Meister Eckhart

In an attempt to calmly glide into my day, I sat down this morning in a sunny corner and set the timer for 15 minutes to meditate.  Unable to control my monkey mind, I lay my hands gently on my heart and decided to focus on being grateful. WHOOSH, my heart opened and I almost started to cry. Okay, interesting. Off for the morning walk with Cooper. I wasn't in the mood for a big fat cry.

In yoga class, I was filled with appreciation of this body I grew up loathing. Three years of yoga and I feel so strong. No back ache. No shoulder ache. Movement and balance and breath. I almost even stilled my monkey mind. Thank you, thank you, thank you.


Then coffee with my dear friend and yoga teacher, Debbie. I realized she is the closest witness to three years of my latest transformation. In her calm presence, I survived a mad crush on a musician (I'm still convinced he put a spell on me with his hugs and kisses backstage - that's how he sells Cd's! I bought them ALL!) Then there was the on-again-off-again, 2-year, half-the-year-long-distance boyfriend. I got my groove back and will forever be grateful to this dear man who wasn't right for me. I cried on Debbie's shoulder, would show up nearly manic with joy, then fill up with doubt a week later. WHAT A RIDE. All while she calmly watched me work it out, maybe throwing me a cryptic comment or two. Always hugs. Two years later, a steadier place. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

At 4:00, I took Cooper for another walk. It was gently snowing and beautiful. Here's my gratitude list from this walk:
Beautiful hand warmers made by an appreciative coaching client.


The most macho of soles on my boots so I don't fall down - lots of research before I bought them.
    Sending a text to a man. A grown man. 

Super nice neighbors who give me the most delicious homemade cookies, fudge, you name it, every Christmas.


Little Big Dog. (Cooper)
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I was really groovin' on the grateful record. But, just in case you think I've gone off the deep end of La-La Land, Cooper disappeared. Second time today (first time made me late for yoga class. Bitch.)



So she burst my little G-bubble. Here's my mad teacher face, with the groove down the middle of my forehead and my hat off so I can better hear her coming.





Yep, gratitude lists work, then shit happens and
the groove appears in my forehead. But I've found some kind of faster way back to some sort of balance. I dare say, I am feeling pretty darn fearless these days. There are so many reasons: events, people, realizations, and, most of all, a bone-deep understanding of Letting Go that has brought me to this place.  

Thank you, thank you, thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment