Thursday, December 29, 2011

Let's Have a Look-See

 Last night I wrote about some of the ornaments that adorn my tree. I thought some pictures were called for.
Did I imagine my five-year-old self on that little balcony?






Don't EVER glue pretty paper onto ponytail holders... unless you need a good laugh at what you think is a good idea that turns out to be, well, dumb.  Tracy and I get a really good laugh every year when these come out of the box.
My dear friend Myriam got such a kick out of buying ornaments after a Jewish lifetime of not trimming Christmas trees. When my husband died, I found a story he'd written in which he imagined he was the wind. That fit him well, the freedom, seeing the world from above, the occasional mischief. One December Myr found a bagpipe ornament and thought that was perfect as a memorial to Lance as the wind. Sometime in transporting it, one of the pipes broke. She wondered if she should have it fixed. But being broken seemed a better fit.                                                                                                            


Living in the Adirondacks in the winter is not for wooses. My friend Jane Jenks epitomizes the self reliance Adirondackers learn. Pair this up with her artistic soul and you have someone who has never lost the "eyes of a child", is always learning and lives with joy. She made this little pack basket - I think it's missing little logs. I'll find some in the back yard.



I've known Danielle since she was 5 and now, as a young adult, she gives me beautiful ornaments. Love that.






And here's the clothespin Playboy Bunny by Lillian, my downstairs neighbor when I lived in an apartment in Glens Falls. What a hoot! The boobs are so low, I always wondered if she subconsciously glued them on where hers (and all of our) boobs end up at 80. I wish I'd spent more time talking to her but that was a time in my life when I was holding onto life's ledge with my fingernails, trying to make sense of life from the outside in instead of regaining my original self.

The little girl who gazed at a glittered house and saw magic.

Merry and joy to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment